History of Banda Primitiva
La Banda Primitiva de Llíria was founded in 1819 by the Franciscan father Fray Antoni Albarracín Enguídanos . It is, without any doubt at all, the oldest civil band in Spain.
In 1888, the band participates for the first time in the Certamen de Bandas in Valencia and obtains the first prize. La Banda Primitiva has been awarded the first prize many times during these years.
Since the beginning, our band has played in concerts, civil and religious parades, TV and radio programmes, etc. We have played in most Spanish main towns and many European countries such as Germany, Belgium, France, Holland and Switzerland; in the U.S.A (New York and Los Angeles) and in China (Beijing and Shanghai).
La Banda Primitiva de Llíria has been conducted by the most famous Valencian conductors and by some of the most prestigious European ones like Sergiu Celibidache, Desirée Dondaine, Odón Alonso, Rafael Früebeck de Burgos, Jan Molenar, Luís Cobos, Manuel Galduf and Jan Cober.
During its history, our symphonic band has been awarded many important prizes. From this list, we would like to point out the following:
- First prize in the Exposición Universal de Barcelona in 1929.
- The official opening of the current Theatre-Concert Hall on the 23rd of September 1951.
- First prize with Honours in the International Musical Competition in Kerkrade, The Netherlands, in 1962.
- First prize with Honours, Flag of the Council and Gold Trumpet from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Czechoslovakia in the International Musical Competition in Kerkrade, The Netherlands, in 1966.
- Guest band in the New York Parade of the Columbus Day in 1981.
- First prize with Honours in the Certamen Internacional de Valencia in 1986 (first centenary of the Certamen).
- First prize with Honours in the Certamen Internacional de Valencia in 1988 (centenary of the first prize our band obtained in this Certamen)
- Reopening of the Theatre-Concert Hall on the 22nd of June 1991, after its restoration.
- Guest band representing Spain in the Parade of the Tournament of Roses, Pasadena (Los Angeles), in 1992, celebrating the 5th Centenary of the Discovery of America.
- First Spanish band touring in China in 2002, playing concerts in Beijing and Shanghai.
We would like to point out the importance given to broadcasting our music in the publication of several CDs.